Monday, September 14, 2009

Second District “The Hillsider” candidate statements - Patrick Boyle

Main issues

Although we are in challenging economic times, I want to make sure we do not sell ourselves short and are able to pass on institutions to the next generation. This especially hit close to home when the Mount Royal Library, Chester Bowl and the Lakewalk extensions were almost all lost entirely. These are all entities my family uses and enjoys. These are examples of assets in our community that have been passed down through generations and that I do not want to lose. Tough financial decisions must be made in our city and I want to ensure that we do not lose the assets that bind us together, give our children and grandchildren opportunities and make Duluth unique.

Personal background.

I grew up just outside of Superior in a family in which public service was a way of life, and I have worked hard to live up to that ideal. I work as a nurse practitioner with the Fond du Lac Band of Ojibwe and live in Duluth with my wife, Jennifer, and three-year-old daughter, Mary. I volunteer at the Damiano Center and with the Friends of the Lakewalk. I am active in Peace United Church of Christ and the Duluth Preservation Alliance. In my spare time, I enjoy hunting, fishing, gardening and running with the family dog.