Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Fourth District “The Hillsider” candidate statements - Celia Scheer

Main issues
The core services, roads, utilities, emergency services, must be the primary focus of any city council, especially here in Duluth where there are problems in all of these areas.
Government is accountable to the people for all revenue received. I will work for full disclosure of available funds to give the council members the knowledge they need to make sound financial decisions. Currently, this information is not available to city councilors.
I will also work to make Duluth more business friendly to keep good jobs here in Duluth. I will work to reduce government bureaucracy to promote free enterprise, while appropriately protecting our environment. I will work to stop unnecessary governmental interference in your life. Citizens must be able to make contracts and conduct business freely without unreasonable requirements and needless paper work.
Elected officials have a responsibility to enable others to live their own lives. Government really should be OF the people, BY the people and FOR the people.

Personal Background
I am a single mother of five children, three still at home. I’ve worked as an office manager most of my adult life as well as managing a home. I attend city council meetings and sometimes speak.
I am not accepting funds or seeking endorsements from any group so I will be able to do what is best for the people of Duluth, not what some special interest demands.
I want to represent you, to be your voice and to work for you. I do not want to be your boss or your leader but instead want to work for you as your public servant.