Thursday, October 27, 2016

State Senate District 7 - Donna Bergstrom

Donna Bergstrom
Greetings! I’m Donna Bergstrom, a candidate for the Minnesota State Senate-District 7, who is running for you! I want to bring our voices, values and priorities to the State level. I’m a retired Lt. Col. in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, having served 20+ years in active and reserve duties, as an Intelligence Officer. Having first hand knowledge of our nation’s military and diplomatic strengths, I’ve observed the importance of the United States as a symbol of freedom. Prior to serving in the Marine Corps, I attended the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, earning my Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science. I obtained a Master of Jurisprudence degree in Children’s Law and Policy in 2014. I am currently employed as a Guardian ad Litem by the State of Minnesota, to advocate for the best interests of our children in the child protection system. I am a mother of an 11-year-old boy, and am married to Skip Fischer, a retired U.S. Senate senior staffer.

My background is broad and diverse. I am not a politician, but instead a common-citizen concerned over the direction of our State and our local community. My priorities include improving graduation rates for minority students. As an enrolled member of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa, and as someone who places great importance on education, I am distraught by the rates at which Native American students graduate from high school, a rate that is second  worst in the nation. I’ll also focus on veteran’s issues, such as eliminating the current tax on their retirement pay, and by improving their access to health care. I intend to work to ensure that the region’s infrastructure is properly maintained. Legislative work involves building relationship, and leading from the front – qualities I learned, and live, as a Marine Corps officer. Thank you.