Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Going through hundreds of emails

I have spent most of today going through my emails. I still have over 400 unread emails.

Here is a tip. Make sure your subject line is specific.

If you really want me to open it, put my name in the subject line. Especially if you forward something. If I see something is forwarded I assume someone is just sending something "interesting" to me. I once missed a personal note about a professional event because a person forwarded an email and wrote the note inside of the forwarded email. That person forwards lots of stuff that don't necessary pertain to me. So I didn't opened it until it was too late.

If you are sending a press release make sure the exciting part of the press release is in the subject line. Also if it is something happening soon, put that date in the subject too.

"For Immediate Release: Business Name"

Isn't as exciting as "Press Release: Ice-Cream Social at Business Name"

Also, I like information both attached and copied inside of the body of the email. That way I don't have to wait for it to download to read it. If I do want to place it in the Hillsider an attached document is easier for me to edit than to re-write the whole thing. If I cut and paste from the body of an email the text loses it format and it is quite a mess.