Friday, August 29, 2008

Brandon Clokey, DFL, statement

My name is Brandon Clokey, and quite simply, I want to be your next State Representative. I am a very proud father of three wonderful children and have been a small business owner for over twenty years. I am a common citizen with real life experience and an appreciation for those around me. I realize there are those in Duluth that will tell you that change is good, while others will say that we are fine living life as we have, and it too is good. While I truly understand the value of both, I am rarely identified as either. Many people who know me are aware I am rarely comfortable with the status quo. My excitement comes from seeking opportunities to improve our community and all of us within it.

I currently advocate for and promote healthy families and parent involvement as the Outreach Coordinator for the Duluth Fathering Project. Other local relationships have included working full time with homeless families through Churches United in Ministry and client advocacy for those in housing transition with Reed’s Board and Lodge facilities.

Throughout my adult life, I have been no stranger to public service. My recent affiliations include being the two-term Board President for the Hillsider Community Newspaper and serving a rare second term as Board Chair for Life House Center for teens and at risk youth. Prior to moving to the Duluth area, this same passion led to my involvement with other boards. This includes the Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency (AEOA) and testifying before the K-12 Education Committee regarding the connections between our low-income children and education.

My purpose has been, and continues to be, to serve, enable, and empower those who are not often heard within our communities. The truth is…not only do many in our community not have a voice or presence, they are also not recognized for their abilities and strengths. Strengths that could be a great asset to all of us, if only they were being heard, seen, and recognized.

These experiences have given me the ability to provide sensible, common sense leadership. This same leadership is guided by the concept of doing what is right and SERVING ALL who we are able. This is why I want to be your next State Representative.
Sincerely,
Brandon Clokey