Sunday, August 01, 2010

Timothy Costley Minnesota Sixth District Court Judge 11 candidate answers The Hillsider questions

1. Why are you running?
I am running to be the North Shore Judge in the Sixth Judicial District. The seat I am seeking is being vacated by Judge Kenneth Sandvik, who is retiring at the end of this year. Although the election is district wide (St. Louis, Carlton, Lake & Cook counties), this seat serves primarily Lake and Cook counties, with courthouses in Two Harbors and Grand Marais.

I have practiced law in private practice for 15 years. My law practice has involved litigation of almost every type of case that would come before a district court judge. I have handled many complex civil matters involving construction defects, breach of contract, business contract and ownership disputes, real estate disputes, personal injury, product liability, dram shop and insurance coverage disputes. I have handled hundreds of family law cases and am a regularly court-appointed counsel for juvenile cases in Lake and Cook counties.

A judicial candidate needs to have the courtroom experience, knowledge and legal skills to be able to handle the duties of a judge. I have that courtroom experience and those skills and I have the broadest range of experience of any candidate running for this position. I have the knowledge, temperament and common sense to be a fair and impartial judge.

I live and work in my hometown of Two Harbors, where the main chambers for this judicial seat is located. I am connected to and respected in this community. I think it is important that a judge live and work in the community they will preside over, as I do. If elected, I will continue to treat everybody that comes before me with kindness, respect and fairness.

2. Juvenile detention
A judge can take an active role in educating our youth about how the judicial system works and the consequences for their actions. As a court appointed attorney in juvenile cases, I see the excellent resources available to those children who become involved in the court system, and the success and guidance those programs can give to children. A judge can and should make sure that those in need of counseling, treatment or guidance get access to the excellent resources in our community, so we do not see those children return to the court system. Making sure children get the help they need, while keeping them accountable, is the best tool in preventing repeat offenses.