Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Get a new bike at United Way’s Bike Swap, April 19 & 20

Peter Lillesve pedal kicks off a large rock at Spirit Mountain. Catch Lillesve and Shawn O’Brien showing bike trial demos during the Bike Swap on April 19 and 20 at Continental Ski and Bike Shop, 1305 E. First St.
Photo by Dave Whalen

Bill Howard, owner of Continental Ski and Bike, and Bryn Jacobson, bike mechanic pose at the store. Jacobson will be on hand for minor bike repairs. Howard said Jacobson is known as “The best wrench in town.”
Photo by Naomi Yaeger-Bischoff

By Naomi Yaeger-Bischoff

Just about every basement or attic in town has a neglected old bike waiting for someone to fix it up, love it and ride it home. At least, that is the theory of Bill Howard, owner of the Continental Ski and Bike Shop, 1305 E. First Street.

This April is your chance to bring in an old bike, give it new life, make a little money, and give to United Way all at the same time. And if you don’t have a bike, this is the place to purchase one at a reasonable price.

Bring bikes in on either Friday, April 18 between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. or on Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Bryn Jacobson, mechanic for Continental Ski and Bike, will be on hand to perform minor repairs on bikes. “Bikes need to be in good condition,” said Jacobson. “ We can’t sell wrecks.”

Only bikes will be accepted, no helmets, shorts or exercise bikes. If your bike sells, you receive 75 percent of the selling price. The remaining 25 percent is donated to United Way of Greater Duluth.

The public is invited to shop on Saturday and Sunday, April 19 and 20, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

A special treat will be the performances of Peter Lillesve and Shawn O’Brien, trials bike riders, who will demonstrate the balance and control you need to be a talented trials (not trail) competitor. Catch them on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. And Sunday at 12:30 p.m. (Although not their website, you may visit the website at www. to learn more about trial bike riding.

Greg Schultz of the Loaves and Fishes Community’s Bike Cave will assist people who bring in bikes. Any bikes left over will be donated to Safe Haven.

Cyclists of the Gitchee Gumee Shores (COGGS) members will also assist at the event to help with the Bike Check-in process. They are knowledgeable about bikes and can help set the price of the bike for people bringing in a bike. They will also be able to help determine if a bike needs any repairs or adjustments. Visit their website

Payment accepted is cash and credit cards only. Food and beverages will be available.
John Bartikoski, of the United Way Greater Duluth, said, “The bike swap was a great success last year. It gives area people a chance to get a great bike and makes bikes available to people who couldn’t go out and buy a new bike, or afford a better bike for less money. It is a way to give an old bike a new home and a happy rider; and it helps raise money and awareness of United Way of Greater Duluth. He added, “St. Luke’s is donating helmets for toddlers who don’t already own a helmet.”

The event will be held rain or shine. Call (218) 728-4466 for more information.

Powered by WebRing.