Saturday, June 09, 2007

Boarding the bus helps build social capital and change
















By David Clanaugh


With escalating gas prices and their disproportionate impact on low-income and working folks, comes a great opportunity to escalate our interaction with, and learning from, each other. Possibly, just possibly, the declining affordability of motorized transportation will bring more and more people together to discover their common bonds, converse about needed social changes, and begin working together toward those changes. Sometimes it is just a little nudge in the right place that tips a society in the direction of major social change after an extended period of apathetic inertia in the midst of corruption, injustice, and gross inequities . . .

These have been some of the thoughts running through my mind lately during my increased use of the Duluth Transit Authority. Granted, the demands and schedules of a two career family with younger children have kept me from becoming a daily bus rider, yet I have felt moved and improved by my recent observations and experiences on the Number 7 route.
I’m an early bird out of necessity and typically start my work day in the 5:30-6:30 a.m. range.
My wife and I work split shifts so that we can contain childcare costs, and we appreciate having employers that offer this type of flexibility. This type of flexibility sadly is not the norm in a society obsessed with the rhetoric of “family values”. . .

The earliest bus I can catch is at 5:45, and what I’ve observed among these riders is a deep sense of respect and community. These folks know each other by first name, make genuine inquiries about each others’ lives, and show some pretty incredible listening skills and compassion.

What I observed one morning was an example of true grace as two women conversed about needlecraft projects. Based on appearances only, I would characterize one of the women (let us call her “Anne”) as a professional and the other (“Maggie”) as a manual laborer, with the latter perhaps having some type of mild disability.

Maggie boarded the bus brimming over with excitement, and she quickly unfurled a gorgeous piece of large needlework from a plastic bag. She then proceeded to pour out her heart to Anne about how happy, satisfied and proud she was about finishing this year-long project the previous evening. Anne just soaked up Maggie’s story, asking a number of insightful questions that encouraged Maggie to more deeply share her love of this activity, how it connects her with family members, how it provides structure and meaning in her life. Anne interjected a bit about her interest in needlecraft, but it really was just to encourage Maggie to share more deeply. I was witnessing very simple attentiveness, presence and connection among two people; it was awesome to closely observe a model for the type of listening that is needed in so many places in our society.

One afternoon a few days later I was bringing my two and five year-olds home from the YMCA’s Kids Club, and they were very excited (yet also a bit nervous) about the prospect of a bus ride. Their nervousness quickly faded as we encountered a familiar elder at the DTA Shelter who had been their care provider up until a few months ago.

What was both sad and inspiring at the same time is that this elder (well into her seventies) was taking the bus to a job interview for a cleaning position. She was very nervous about the interview and also unsure about where she was headed, so we quickly took her under our wings.

Here was a person who had worked hard and struggled all her life, and who was still working hard and struggling. My girls and I were fortunate to be near this persistence and courage, yet I found myself thinking about the increasing number of elders who are scraping by and spending their latter years anxious about finances and basic needs.

More of us need to ride the bus and visit with these vulnerable folks, both young and old, who struggle valiantly for a scrap of comfort and security. I found myself identifying with this woman and wondering what my life would be like during my seventies given many of our society’s current trends.

During this same bus ride there were also a couple of younger fellows (obviously brothers), a wife, and a cute one-year-old who quickly engaged my children and me in conversation and story telling. Teasing and sharing jokes, talking about fishing, worrying about how to make ends meet, taking pleasure in our children – such was the stuff of our half hour conversation. Again I had the sense these folks existed a bit on the margins of society, yet their open and friendly demeanors brought a sense of connection and common ground.

Riding the bus, I have been realizing, can serve as a great equalizer, bringing folks together from various walks of life, breaking down the barriers, competitiveness and self-absorption that often come with solitary automobile commutes. As gas prices continue to rise, more and more of us will be “forced” to share public transportation. As we travel together, we can grasp this opportunity to open ourselves to each other’s humanity, listen to each other’s stories, and offer our hopes for a better world. . .and together we can bring forth this world.